Spaghetti Sauce for Canning

So, the National Center for Home Food Preservation has this great recipe for Spaghetti Sauce, but it calls for 30 pounds of tomatoes. My CSA, Graber Organic Farms, sells their bulk tomatoes in 20 pound boxes. So, I used the Recipe Resizer to convert the recipe to one I can use & I'm preserving it here so that I don't have to constantly look it up. Hopefully it helps you, too.

This makes about 4 quarts or 8 pints.

NOTE - Do not increase the proportion of onions, celery, or peppers. 

20 pounds tomatoes
1/2 + 1/8 c onions, diced
1/2 c sweet bell peppers, shopped
1/8 c celery, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 T salt
2 T oil (for cooking the veggies)
1/2 T oregano
1 1/2 T parsley
1 1/4 T black pepper, ground
2 1/2 T brown sugar
  1. Wash, peel, & core tomatoes.
  2. Boil uncovered for 20 minutes. 
  3. Put through food mill or sieve (I press mine through a metal colander, which is a real pain!)
  4. Saute onions, celery, and peppers, until tender. 
  5. Add garlic & saute just until fragrant.
  6. Combine veggies and tomatoes
  7. Add remainder of spices, salt, and sugar. 
  8. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered until it is your desired thickness . (I like to reduce it by about half.)
  9. Fill jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. 
  10. Pressure can at 10 pounds pressure 20 minutes for pints, 25 minutes for quarts.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

This looks like a great recipe! And I'd never heard of the recipe resizer- that sure would have come in handy MANY times. I never seem to have enough ingredients for anything- and I don't have a sieve either. One day!